Monday, April 1, 2019

The Madison / Mercer / Bates Letters

Appearing below are transcriptions of two letters. The first is from John Francis Mercer to James Madison written in February, 1795. The second is from James Madison to Stephen Bates written January 24, 1831. Full copies of each letter appear below the transcriptions.

Source: National Archives
Transcription Assistance By: Carolyn Harrison and Lloyd Lyon

From John Francis Mercer to James Madison:

Marlbrough, Feby. 11th. 1795.

Dear Sir

Mr. John Fenton Mercer the bearer of this is the eldest Son of my late Brother. By a clause in his fathers Will his Estate cannot be divided for three years to come, & that time he proposes to pass in some of the Armies of france probably the Northern Army. I know no situation more improving for a young Man than the family of an old experienc’d General Officer, & from my knowledge of this young Gentleman’s talents & disposition I have great expectation of the benefits he would derive from such an opportunity. He only wants prudence to make a most valuable man & that can only come from experience. Your forwarding him in this view if in your power will be an additional obligation to many which I acknowledge.

I have had no opportunity of congratulating you before on your becoming a free mason — a very ancient & honorable fraternity. I am sure you are now much wiser & I do not doubt you are much happier altho’ you were very wise & happy before, at least in my opinion. I hold a lodge on your road pray let me take you some time by the hand in it & let Mrs. Mercer welcome, the fair prophetess who has converted you to the true faith. A Man who has got his head somewhat clear of a large load of leaden politics — feels of course a little light headed to that you must attribute the levity of this style which is only intended to assure you of my respect & friendship for you & yours.

John F Mercer

From James Madison to Stephen Bates Written by J.C. Payne:

Bates Stephen 24th Jany, '31

Dear Sir

I received long ago your interesting favor(?) on the 31st of Oct with a pamphlet referred to, and I owe an apology for not sooner acknowledging it.  I hope it will be a satisfactory one that the state of my health crippled by a severe rheumatism, restricted my attention to which seemed to have immediate claims upon it, and in that light I did not view the subject of your communication, ignorant as I was of the true character of Masonry and little informed as I was of the grounds on which its extermination was contended for, and incapable as I was and am, in my situation of investigating  the controversy.  I never was a mason, and no one perhaps could be more a stranger to the principles, rites and fruits of the institution I had never regarded it as dangerous or notorious (noxious?); nor on the other hand as deriving importance from any thing publicly known of it. From the number and character of those who now support the charges against Masonry I cannot doubt that it is at least susceptible of abuse outweighing any advantage promised by its patrons.  With this apology and explanation I tender you Sir my respectful & cordial salutations.
James Madison

The Letter From Mercer to Madison:



The Letter To Bates from Madison, Written by J.C. Payne:




No comments: