Saturday, August 18, 2012

Something I've Been Meaning To Do


I haven't lost interest in posting here, but I've turned my attention to something I've been meaning to do for quite a while and have been putting off.  I've been working on uploading my first book to Kindle. 

A few years ago, I wrote a daily blog unrelated to Masonry, and had that on Kindle.  That was a pretty easy process.  Basically, I just pushed the "Hey, Amazon, put this blog on Kindle" button and that was it.  Getting a full book on Kindle is a more complex process. 

On my first attempt to upload the manuscript, I was greeted with "UNKNOWN ERROR."  That was helpful.  Long story short, Kindle doesn't want any formatting and is not fond of pictures.  I'm a picture-kinda-guy and had to strip all pictures out and just submit text, then put the pictures back in one-by-one.  Wah-wah-wah.

I also discovered Kindle (except for the Kindle Fire) won't wrap text around pictures.  I'm putting material from this blog into my next book and had hoped to be able to do that.  Back to the drawing board.  FYI, the Nook format is even a little tougher, because it has file size limitations and, yep, pictures really eat into that.

Anyway, I'll keep posting here, but that's why I haven't been doing so regularly lately.

As far as the book goes, it's out there, but no plugs here.  I'd rather have you join the Missouri Lodge of Research and get a free hardbound copy.