Thursday, January 17, 2019

The New Road

Dad's new car was in for service in Noblesville, a town about 25 miles North of Indianapolis, where he had bought it. He had left it overnight, so Mom drove him up there to pick it up. I was about 6 or 7, and my brother Jim was a toddler, so we had to go along for the ride. State Road 37 was the main route between Noblesville and Indy. They were building a new section of the road, and Dad told Mom he thought it was open, "Let's take the new road back home," he suggested. We picked up the car and Mom took off ahead of us with Jim and I in the car with Dad.

We reached the new section of road and there were barriers across it, but they were kind of pushed off to the side. Mom stopped her car and Dad pulled up behind her. She came back to our car and asked if he still wanted to try the new road. "It looks finished to me," said Dad, "If the road was closed I think they'd have those barriers completely blocking it."  They made the decision to press on.

Mom drove onto the new section with Dad following. We got about a mile down the new road when we heard the sound of a siren. Flashing red lights appeared behind us. Mom pulled over and Dad pulled up behind her. The cop parked his car in front of Mom, got out and walked back to her car. They talked for a while, then Mom made a U-turn and headed back the other way. Then the cop came back to our car.

"Sir," he said, "this road isn't open."

"I'm terribly sorry, officer," said Dad, "but I was just following that woman ahead of me."

No comments: