Monday, January 29, 2018

The Farmer



Rummaging through some papers last week I found a note scrawled in longhand describing a Brother's Masonic journey. This account started with the mundane tale of a farmer who wanted to become a Freemason. This simple story was informally jotted down in 1952 as a recollection of events that took place long before, shortly after the turn of the century. I thought it was worth sharing with you. Here is that farmer's Masonic tale:

One day I was in the barn lot at home on the farm discussing things with a cousin of my mother. I told him I was interested in Masonry and hoped to become a Mason someday. This was in November, 1908.

A short time after I received an application for membership. I signed it and was elected for initiation, which happened on February 9th 1909. I studied faithfully and was given the third degree on March 9th 1909.

Shortly after receiving the third degree the grand lecturer, came to town to hold a lodge of instruction. I attended all three days and then accompanied brother to other towns for more instruction, becoming proficient in all three degrees.

I was elected Junior Warden in 1910. In 1911, I sent a petition to The Grand Master asking for the establishment of a Masonic lodge near my home. A lodge under dispensation was set up with myself as Master, under dispensation, In the spring of 1911. At the fall meeting of the Grand Lodge the new lodge was granted a charter. I was elected Master of the lodge. It was a very active organization and continued to grow. I became Master a second time when the lodge was 4 years old — and then secretary.

World War I came along and I went to France. The lodge hall burned down, destroying all the records. But the lodge continued to grow.

When I returned from overseas after World War I, I took an active interest in Masonic Affairs in the whole country. When the District Deputy died I was appointed to the place in 1924. I entered politics in 1922 and was elected again in 1926 after a defeat in 1924.

In 1930, William R. Gentry was elected Grand Master of Mason's of Missouri. He appointed me to the Grand Lodge line and in 1940, I was elected Grand Master of Masons of the Grand Lodge of Missouri.

In the study of the Masonic lectures and the reading of the biblical references I was impressed with the moral code taught by the lectures and the Bible.

I always tried to live and act by this moral code.

Harry S. Truman, the White House, Washington DC, December 31, 1952

No comments: